Tuesday 26 October 2010

NY - Day One.

After our long journey on Sunday we finally arrived to JFK airport around 11 PM Sunday night. I tortured myself on the plane because I didn't sleep anything - I ended up watching three films instead. I thought I'd be able to sleep better and adjust the time zone in my body much faster but I ended up sleeping around five to six hours.

My dad and I decided to take it easy on our first day - due to expected yet lag.. Therefore we ended up exploring the small neighbourhood we're staying at around "Long Island City". We decided to live outside Manhattan due to the extremely high prices and also because of the fact that many hotels were sold out. Therefore we have a 5-10 min travel time when we want to visit the more central parts of the big city.

After a steady breakfast our new adventures began by taking a long stroll around the breathtaking Central Park. Most of the leaves are still green but there are traces of golden yellow and ruby red leaves as well. We passed the Central Park Zoo, the famous Central Park Boathouse and the well know Wollman rink (where people actually were able to go ice skating in October!).

One thing is for certain; there are new impressions to encounter behind every single block in this town. The pulse is very high were yellow cabs literally fly next to you while walking on the side walk. For some people a bit stressful perhaps but I'm absolutely lovin' it! We also ended up visiting some shops - read many shops!

Luckily my dad managed to find a few things which I believe suited him very well. I was close in buying a few things but have decided to wait a few days to see & compare the different prices for they do vary a lot from store to store. I've taken so many pictures today but I don't think I'll have the time to post them here tonight, perhaps I'll do it tomorrow.

I must say that I completely fell in love with the New York Public Library. My dad and I spent almost one hour inside or was it two? Anyway I fully understand the reasons for why Carrie in SATC decided to "try" to get marry in this building. There is so much history to find within those walls, new & old treasures to look through and different exhibitions to explore.

After a rather long day of nothing but walking we decided to turn back to the hotel to rest & fresh 'n' up before heading out for dinner. At this very moment my dad is sleeping while I'm still up. It's been an awesome day and really good sofar! I find it hard to believe that there are so many more places left to see! We've only seen a little bit of the big Apple and more is yet to come! Sweet dreams to you all back home, talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment